[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 11:48:01 PDT 2009

Aldyth said:

<<< Selene, you hit this on the head, or well, noodle.  :-))  I have a
little
handout that I am in the process of updating that all my cooks guild
newbies
get a copy of.  Medieval food for the modern palate.  This recipe is my
macaroni and cheese sort of equivalent. I list modern foods that for the
most part are accepted (fried chicken, the Mac and Cheese, Stew, etc)
and
then list a similar "period" recipe/food. >>>

Aldyth,

I'd like to consider adding your article to the Florilegium, after
you've updated it, if I may.

After hunting season is fine. Few things in the Florilegium have hard
and fast deadlines. Other than getting them done before the author
gets dragged off into anther project, that is. :-)

Judith, along similar line, perhaps this new article series I've been
adding to the FOOD section in the Florilegium might be of interest:
DYKIP-Food-art    (10K)  5/29/09  "Did You Know It's Period? - Modern
Medieval
                                      Food" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
DYKIP-Frid-Fd-art (18K)  7/ 4/09  "Did You Know its Period? Part 4:
Fried
                                      Foods" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
DYKIP-Pies-art    (16K)  7/ 5/09  "Did You Know its Period? Part 5:
Simple
                                      Simon's Pies" by HL Rowan
Houndskeeper.
DYKIP-Sweets-art  (18K)  6/11/09  "Did You Know its Period? Part 3:
Satisfying
                                      Your Sweet Tooth" by HL Rowan
Houndskeeper.
DYKIP-Veg-Frt-art (14K)  6/ 2/09  "Did You Know It's Period? Part 2 -
Vegetables
                                      and Fruits" by HL Rowan
Houndskeeper.

I'm not sure which of these do or do not fit into your other food
restrictions, but worth a look. And these were written with the person
new to period cooking in mind.

This file in the FOOD-BY-REGIONS section might also be of interest.
There are some recipes in here as well, I believe.
fd-Jewish-msg    (144K)  3/16/08    Jewish medieval food. Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Jewish-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com