[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Aug 22 05:18:32 PDT 2009

In a message dated 8/21/2009 11:42:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
judith at ipstenu.org writes:

<<It'll be weird, though. I seldom
cook from a recipe. I figure out what taste I want, and then I make it
happen. Same as my grandmother, and her grandmother, and so on back
into the mists of time.>>

Then, working directly from the period version of the recipe, rather than
someone's redaction, will actually be easier for you.  Period recipes rarely
give amounts of ingredients, other than to a "a large quantity" or to say
"as much of X as of W, Y, and Z together".  They tend to tell you to take some
of this, and some of that, and add these things, and cook it until it's
done.
Cariadoc's Miscellany may be a good place to start; while he has redacted
most of the recipes, the originals, in English, are there and you can work
directly from the originals and just use his redaction to help you understand
terms that have fallen out of use or what unusual spices are.

Brangwayna Morgan
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
Lancaster, PA