[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 25 13:22:56 PDT 2009

Or rather," Tomatoes, a substitute for period what?"

In some SCA-period Middle Eastern dishes, tamarind was used to add a
sweet-and-sour flavor. I can't track this historically, but it seems
to me that tomatoes may have replaced tamarind in *some* dishes as
they evolved.

No evidence, no proof, just based on cooking a fair number of dishes
from a multitude of medieval Arabic-language cookbooks (which include
some specifically named Jewish and Christian dishes) and modern North
African and Southwest Asian cookbooks (which also include some
specifically named Jewish and Christian dishes).
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita