[Sca-cooks] P B & J

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Mon Aug 24 15:11:20 PDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 4:45 PM, Lynn wrote:

> Sometimes "no thank you" can be just a short polite way saying many
> things that one might not want to really go into or discuss -- such
> as: I'm full, I'm not hungry, I've had enough; I really don't care
> for XXX because it gives me gas, makes me have heartburn, makes me
> belch, etc.; I don't recognize everything that is in that dish and
> might contain something I'm allergic to; I'm watching my calories,
> carbs, food portions; or a variety of other reasons.

Understandable, but what about "Does this dish contain <problematic
ingredient>? Oh, dear. I wish I could have some, because it looks so
good, but I'd better not, as I have adverse reactions to <problematic
ingredient>." That tells the cook that you're not refusing
hospitality, nor are you just dismissing the dish out of hand; you
have legitimate reasons for not tasting the dish. A simple "no thank
you" doesn't tell the cook anything useful. Explaining the reason for
the refusal will help ensure that in the future, there'll be something
you can eat.

Judith