[Sca-cooks] Politeness in the face of not eating a dish - WAS: P B & J

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 15:23:30 PDT 2009

Just putting in my two cents, there are many people who do not want to divulge why they may not eat a particular food. I have never taken it as rude when someone says simply "No, thank you."

Of course, when someone is planning to attend a feast, it is that person's responsibility to get in touch with the head cook if there are any particular dietary restrictions. Things such as this should happen well in advance of the day of the feast.

I'm not sure how people with allergies, food sensitivities, or other restrictions handle an invite to dinner (or other meal); but I would think it would be rude to confront a host and the time of the meal that there is an "issue".

For myself, my only concern is enjoying my food in moderation, or planning for an indulgence to attempt to keep in line with my own weight loss goals. Thus, I will plan ahead for any special occasion and need not trouble the host about it.

Euriol

 Euriol of Lothian, OP
Clerk, Order of the Pelican, Kingdom of Æthelmearc
Chronicler, Barony of Endless Hills

"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy."
-Robindranath Tagore, Poet/Playwright/Essayist 1913 Nobel Prize for Literature