[Sca-cooks] P B & J

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Aug 24 15:33:11 PDT 2009

Judith Epstein wrote:

> Understandable, but what about "Does this dish contain <problematic
> ingredient>? Oh, dear. I wish I could have some, because it looks so
> good, but I'd better not, as I have adverse reactions to <problematic
> ingredient>." That tells the cook that you're not refusing
> hospitality, nor are you just dismissing the dish out of hand; you
> have legitimate reasons for not tasting the dish. A simple "no thank
> you" doesn't tell the cook anything useful. Explaining the reason for
> the refusal will help ensure that in the future, there'll be
> something  you can eat.

I was taught not to discuss my constitutional issues at the table,
actually, especially with people I don't know.  And you know what? I
don't feel all that bad about saying no to a food that disagrees with me
or even that I just happen to hate.  I could probably "taste" it, but
then you might think that I only took one bite and then ignored it
because I don't like your cooking, and not because I don't care for the
item in question no matter how nicely prepared it is.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?