[Sca-cooks] Edible Violet Water?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 18:46:55 PDT 2009

>Not a place to buy, but this page has an easy violet water recipe:
><http://18thccuisine.blogspot.com/2006/04/you-are-dainty-violet.html>
>
>toodles, margaret

Only easy if one has access to Sweet Violets/English Violets, aka
Viola Odorata, which i cannot get here in California.

as i wrote:
>  >> While there are many flowers in the Genus Viola, only one
>>>  has the fragrance used in cuisine, confectionery, and
>>>  perfumery. That is Viola odorata, aka Sweet Violet and
>  >> English Violet
SNIP
>  >> Alas, Viola odorata does not grow naturally or happily in
>  >> Southern or Northern California, where i live.
SNIP
>  >> So, while "recipes" for making one's own violet water may
>>>  help those living in the right climate and with the skill
>>>  and land to grow Viola odorata, they won't help me :-(
>>>
>>>  That's why i'm looking for edible violet water i can
>  >> purchase.

Again, this is good for those who can grow Viola odorata - but beware
of the beautiful, but comparatively scentless Viola sororia - it's
edible and looks lovely, but won't scent your water.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita