[Sca-cooks] Sweat shirts and sweat pants are an important addition to your wardrobe

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:15:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:13 AM, <bronwynmgn at aol.com> wrote:

> I started making wool overgowns to go over my lighter weight clothes.
>  Heavy wool repels water beautifully with no special treatment.  If it does
> get wet, it still keeps you warm.

Yes it does but my problem with a wool over dress or cloak is the wicking
factor.  if you're sloshing around the water wicks right up to your knees
and then nothing keeps you dry and warm.  The sweat pants can be hiked up a
little so as not to be subject to wicking.

>  Wool socks are a godsend when your feet are wet; you feel the initial rush
> of cold water but within a moment or two, it is hard to tell if your feet
> are still wet because they are warm again.

I agree - in the army I wore wool socks even though they dried out my skin
and made me itchy - it was still better than blisters or other yucky foot
things.

Shoshanna