[Sca-cooks] Preserving peaches

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:38:48 PDT 2009

Some weeks back, someone mentioned the Martha Washington's cookbook's recipe for preserving peaches in wine and, as the Oklahoma peach crop was coming in just then, I gave it a whirl.  I got a half-bushel of Porter peaches (a variety of freestones - Augustas, I think) and, deciding to go on an all-Ansteorra theme, a bottle of a Texas moscato (Ste. Genevieve), and got to work.

The result was beautiful and absolutely delicious.  The wine and peach juice made a lovely, rosy syrup with some of the richest flavor I've ever gotten putting up peaches.  The moscato added a light honey tone to the taste.

This first attempt was a complete success.  I'm having to ration how much I let the husband put on his ice cream/pound cake/oatmeal so we'll have some to enjoy this winter.

If I were to try using ingredients closer to those of the time period of the recipe, what varieties of peaches and what wines would be appropriate equivalents?

In servicio et humilitate,

Talana