[Sca-cooks] FW: A.Word.A.Day--chef-d'oeuvre

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 06:13:06 PST 2009

Just sent to me this morning by a student of mine.  Never heard this one
before, but it makes sense I suppose.

Christianna

And of course I thought of you!  Um, just cause the word has "chef" in it?
LOL

From: Wordsmith <wsmith at wordsmith.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--chef-d'oeuvre

 Wordsmith.org

The Magic of Words

This week's theme
French terms

This week's words
rapporteur <http://wordsmith.org/words/rapporteur.html>
amour-propre <http://wordsmith.org/words/amour-propre.html>
esprit <http://wordsmith.org/words/esprit_de_corps.html>  de corps
chef-d'oeuvre <http://wordsmith.org/words/chef-d_oeuvre.html>

  _____

A.Word.A.Day

with Anu Garg

chef-d'oeuvre

PRONUNCIATION:

(shay-DOO-vruh)  <http://wordsmith.org/words/chef-d_oeuvre.mp3>

MEANING:

noun: A masterpiece.

ETYMOLOGY:

>From French chef-d'oeuvre (masterpiece), from chef (chief) + oeuvre (work).

USAGE:

"Not every item is a chef d'oeuvre: The Surrealists loved to create collages
from trivial snapshots."
Jorg von Uthmann; Kinky Dolls, Glass Tears Adorn Surrealist Photo Show;
Bloomberg; Oct 29, 2009.

Explore "chef-d'oeuvre <http://visualthesaurus.com/?w1=chef-d'oeuvre> " in
the Visual Thesaurus.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.
-Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)