[Sca-cooks] lampreys

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Dec 10 01:15:52 PST 2009

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Has anyone cooked one of the medieval lamprey recipes? Where did you
> get the lamprey? Or did you substitute something for it. Perhaps a
> different type of eel?

http://www.southsoundeats.com/blog/eds-table/lamprey-eel-deal/
Makes them sound delicious, but not especially like eel.  (On the other
hand, I like eel-- maybe I'd like lamprey, too!)

> Or did you hunt them in the wild? Doesn't the lake at Pennsic or Gulf
> Wars have lampreys? Or am I thinking of some other critter?

You're not thinking of hagfish, are you?  I know they're an introduced
pest in the Great Lakes (no real idea obout Cooper's Lake-- just a guess).
In any case, I don't think they're edible.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo