[Sca-cooks] lampreys

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 10 17:02:54 PST 2009

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo replied to my question about lampreys with:
<<< Lampreys aren't eels.  They're agnathostomata.

  (In terms of eating, I don't know if they're similar or no. ) >>>

That's what I thought, too. But when I checked wikipedia before
posting here, it said:

"A lamprey (sometimes also called lamprey eel) is a parasitic marine/
aquatic animal with a toothed, funnel-like sucking mouth. Translated
directly, their name means stone lickers (lambere = to lick, and petra
= stone). While lampreys are well known for those species which bore
into the flesh of other fish to suck their blood, these species make
up the minority. Inzoology, lampreys are often not considered to be
true fish because of their vastly different morphology and physiology."

So maybe the common name of "lamprey eel" is just scientifically
incorrect.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com