[Sca-cooks] How to cook a wolf

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 05:24:30 PST 2009

Actually, there is a recipe about how to cook a wolf that's in "A Soup for
the Qan.":

*32.Roast Wolf Soup*

Ancient *pen-ts'ao* do not include entries on wolf meat.  At present we
state that its nature is heating.  It treats asthenia.  I hae never heard
that it is poinonous for those eating it.  In the case of the present recipe
we use spices to help its flavor.  It warms the five internal organs and
warms the center.

Wolf meat (leg; bone and cut up), tsaoko cardamoms (three), black pepper
(five *c'ien*), *kasni* (one *ch'ien*), turmeric (two *chi'en*),
*za'faran *(one
*ch'ien*).

Boil ingredients together into a soup.  Adjust flavors of everything using
onions, sauce, salt and vinegar.

So...yes, wolf recipes do exist, at least in Mongol foodways!

Kiri