[Sca-cooks] Greek yogurt RE: cream cheese

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 15:01:07 PST 2009

You can start from scratch - you just need the little "critters", milk and a
heat stable situation - they sell yogurt makers.

If not - you can start with regular American plain yogurt and you strain it
to get out a lot of the water because as I understand - Greek yogurt is much
thicker than the stuff Dannon makes.  Sorry - don't mean to pick on Dannon -
any "regular" yogurt.  So, draining the commercial stuff (or small boutique
stuff) allows it to get thicker and more like Greek.

I think that's the difference.

I've been thinking of getting a yogurt maker but I go on binges where I eat
it and then I stop so I don't know if it's worth having a unitasker like
that in the house.

I will say that we got a thermapen for Hanukkah last night - boy is that
fun!  Water from the fridge was 40F  and the roux was about 210F!!!  Tonight
I think we're opening the big box that says 12 cup Cuisinart on it!  Wonder
what it could be!!  Hope it helps with the potato latkes on Saturday!

Shoshanna