[Sca-cooks] Candy Thermometer

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Dec 17 07:53:12 PST 2009

I have about...six...different cooking thermometers, one is specifically
reserved for deep-frying.

Looking on Amazon, I have two along the lines of the CND TCF400 Candy and
Deep Fry Thermometer. I am kind of iffy on this one--the clip makes it
fairly easy to attach to the pan but because of the way the clip is
attached to the body of the thermometer, it can obscure the temperature
scale and make it hard to read. Also this model is prone to getting
moisture inside the body and the condensation can also make it difficult
to read the temperature. The big advantage is that it is cheap ($3.99 on
Amazon). With this style of thermometer it is very easy to accidentally
touch the side or the bottom of the pot which is going to skew your
temperature measurement a bit.

I have two lab thermometers of the red-alcohol variety that I got from a
surplus store. They're only 0-234F, so I can't really use them for cooking
sugar but they work fine for cheese and chocolate and other low
temperature things. They do not have clips.

I have at least two of the metal-plate-with-thermometer-attached variety
(also called paddle style), one of these is my deep-frying thermometer.
These are the most accurate, although the one has the clip permanently
attached at the top of the thermometer which makes it very hard to clip to
a pot. This style of thermometer protects the bulb from touching the pot,
but it is not as easy to clean (which is why the one is a dedicated oil
thermometer).

I would recommend either the paddle style with a sliding clip or a
digital with a sliding clip on the probe--it's going to be the most
flexible in terms of usage.

Margaret FitzWilliam