[Sca-cooks] Farmer's feasts question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Dec 17 18:11:40 PST 2009

Go with Thomas Tusser.
He's even a contemporary of Shakespeare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tusser

His Five hundred pointes of good husbandrie (1573 is one edition) is
up now on Google Books.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yct6m39

Page 69 starts the December Husbandrie section where the Christmas
section reads:

Christmas husbandly fare. chap. 26.

GOod husband & huswyfe, now chiefly be glad,

things hādsom to haue, as they ought to be had

They both do prouide, against Christmas do come

to welcom their neighbour, good chere to haue som

Good bread & good drinke, a good fyer in the hall,

brawne pudding & souse & good mustarde withal.

Biefe, mutton, & porke, shred pyes of the best,

pig, veale, goose & capon, & Turkey wel drest:

Chese, apples & nuttes, iollie Caroles to here,

as then, in the cuntrey, is counted good chere.

What cost to good husbande, is any of this?

good housholde prouision, onely it is.

Of other the like, I do leaue out a meny,

that costeth the husbandman, neuer a peny.

  Will this do?

Johnnae