[Sca-cooks] Wild Boar

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:19:19 PST 2009

My parents live in East Texas and are plagued by feral pigs.  The varmints can shred good pasturage like you wouldn't believe as they root around for grubs.  My parents live-trap them and allow people to hunt them.  They always have a freezer full of Texas piggie, and provided a boar for our barony's 10th year celebration.  They even have an arrangement with a meat processor who has the FDA certification to prep them for export: apparently, Texas "wild boar" has a market as a delicacy in Europe.  Coals to Newcastle, as it were.

Still, you can't get rid of them faster than they can reproduce.

My husband's complaint about feral pigs is that their bristles are no good for shoemaking.

Talana