[Sca-cooks] Horse Breeding OT But!... I know someone will know the answer...

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Tue Dec 22 00:05:27 PST 2009

FYI, the gorgeous black horse that Rutger Hauer rides in the movie
Ladyhawke is a FRISIAN.  Definitely a medieval breed used by knights.
See the Wiki article; the modern Frisian may be a bit lighter, but is
the same height, as the medieval strain.

There is quite an interesting article at Wiki about "Horses in the
Middle Ages"; the writers' point being that medieval sources didn't
go by what we consider breeds, but by what type of work the animal
was doing: destrier, rouncy, palfrey, etc.

Big discussion about size controversies, too.

Chimene