[Sca-cooks] "Bad" language

wyldrose wyldrose at tds.net
Wed Dec 23 06:12:04 PST 2009

    My adopted grandmother was full Norwegian and was born  in the late
1890's.  She came over from Norway when she was a young girl (around 8) and
lived  to be over 100.  She talked about her grandparent's  in Norway (they
also lived to be well into their 90's ) expected company who could afford it
to bring over food when they stopped by to visit unless  it was said
otherwise.   That was the 'custom' and she would have my sister and I come
over for tea, we would always bring something along my mom would send.  At
the tea, she would bring out other dishes, sweets, etc that everyone else
had brought over and make sure we all got to taste a little of everything
else that everyone who visited brought,  Not exactly a potluck, but an
interesting custom:)  A 'tea' was a success if the table was piled with all
kinds of foods to try.  (we also learned to suck tea through sugar cubes,
eat pickled fish, and eat real headcheese.)
   She said her parents and grandparents did the same for 'tea time' which
is usually between 3-4 in the afternoon.
    Where I live in northern Minnesota, potlucks are a  part of the
community and  our small local church is Lutheran so potlucks are embedded
in the local culture.
              Kay