[Sca-cooks] Horse Breeding OT But!... I know someone will know the answer...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 25 11:54:59 PST 2009

Daniel wrote:
>What surprises me is that no one has mentioned mules
>in period.  They came in at least two varieties, draft/pack and riding.
>There is currently extant a rare breed of rather large French donkey that
>was kept specifically to bred riding mules if I recall correctly.  Not sure
>if it is period however.  That of course brings up the issue of donkeys and
>asses.

That would be the dread locked Baudet de Poitou (bow-DAY duh pwa-TOO):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baudet_de_Poitou
about as big as a horse. It's kinda the French Poodle of donkeys.

The male Poitou donkeys were historically bred with a female
workhorse, the Poitevin (pwa-tuh-VAN) or Mulassiere (mew-lah-see-AIR)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poitevin_(horse)

Both are now rather endangered, and breeders are working to save them.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita