[Sca-cooks] Sugarplums or Hais?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Dec 6 15:22:38 PST 2009

I think this type of sweetmeat probably predates (the word) hais.  I
suspect, but cannot prove that it dates to the Late Neolithic and the
domesticated honeybee with honey being found from England through the Levant
and on to parts East (there is at least one reference to Borneo).
Sweetmeats of ground nutsedge tubers and honey show up in Egyptian tombs
from the 4th Millenia BCE to Ptolemic Egypt.

Sugarplum, as a word, appears to have a Late 17th Century origin, so while
some of the ingredients would need to be imported, they would likely have
been available, thus the recipe can not be directly attributed to a Middle
Eastern source.  The earliest European variant I've located is from Apicius,
although I think it is made as a small cake rather than a ball.

Bear