[Sca-cooks] I posed these questions to my kingdom....

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Dec 7 00:11:49 PST 2009

Stephanie Yokom wrote:
> 1.  What dishes and/or foods will make you want to go and feast?

It is unusual here to see a menu published in advance, so it's not
really something I think about.
I especially enjoy less common meats and vegetables, but it's all good.

> 2.  What don't you like to see served at a feast?

Anything that's been ruined!  Food that is overcooked, undercooked,
under- or over-seasoned.

In terms of menu:
Glaringly non-period food. (I'm not a nitpicker by any stretch, but I'd
be pretty disappointed to see corn on the cob)
Menus with too little variety of taste and texture-- for example,
several stews and not enough of anything else.  Or too many starchy
dishes.  Or poor balance in general.
Not enough vegetables. (!!!)

> 3.  What would you like to see served more at feast?

Fish and shellfish.
Less-common vegetables.
Game, veal, duck, kid, rabbit, etc.
Sausages, pickles and other preserved foods.
Good cheese.
Comfits and sweets.

> 4.  How many courses do you think is a proper feast?

Generally three or more, although two can be OK.

> 5.  What is your favorite country or region to taste dishes from?

Planet Earth.

> 6.  Would you want to see other country's period dishes represented that are
> beyond the traditional SCA borders? (Chinese, Arabic,etc.)

If someone wants to do the research, I want to eat the results.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?