[Sca-cooks] I posed these questions to my kingdom....

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 7 06:59:20 PST 2009

>1.  What dishes and/or foods will make you want to go and feast?

Is the food period?  Is the menu well thought out?

>2.  What don't you like to see served at a feast?

No tomatoes or potatoes or chocolate please.

I'm not a fan of the "progression" or journey themes, each course in
a different country, it often doesn't do justice to any of them.

>3.  What would you like to see served more at feast?

More veggies  Salad that isn't lettuce.  Good bread, preferably warm.

>4.  How many courses do you think is a proper feast?

It depends on how it is served, and what happens between the courses.
I've been to a nice very feast with one course plus desert.  There
was bread and cold items on the table, when the hot food went out,
the cooks were done and got to eat too.

Or Urtatim's Greco-Roman Feast with 23 dishes in 6 courses.  I only
wish I had been there.

  I do like it better when all the dishes of the course are ready
together, and there is a pause between the next course.  And please,
don't serve the sauce 20 mins after everyone finished the dish it was
meant to be served with.

I like it when the courses to follow the pattern for the time/place,
not two or three "mini-meals" with meat, starch, and veg for each.

>5.  What is your favorite country or region to taste dishes from?

Any place and time that is well done.

>6.  Would you want to see other country's period dishes represented that are
>beyond the traditional SCA borders? (Chinese, Arabic,etc.)

Yes, but please not modern food.  Ethnic food has history too, and
the dishes served today are not the same as those 400 years ago.
I've seen too many feasts of modern Middle eastern food.

Ranvaig