[Sca-cooks] Fyletts in Galentyne

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 7 08:54:39 PST 2009

Sigh...  I started one post and put it aside and will try a second...

I asked if anyone had tried the version of fyletts in galentyne that I
sent (Pynson and Napier who appear to be virtually identical).  I was
referred to Doc's site, but I had already indicated that I copied
Napier's version from his site.

Looking at Doc's site and the aforementioned recipes, Liber cure
cocorum's recipe, while a galentine, isn't the same as the two I asked
about.  It doesn't have white wine, cubebs, mace, pepper, cloves and it
includes vinegar and blood.

Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books' recipe isn't the same.  It has beef
or mutton broth.  Not white wine, and it includes blood or saunders and
saffron.

Forme of Cury has blood, saunders, parsley, hyssop and red wine with
raisons.  Not the same.

Avelyn's recipe for Fyllettes isn't the same.  It has beef broth,
cinnamon, vinegar and sandalwood.  No white wine although it has ginger.
  The recipe would be different.

Yeah, this is picky, but the person commented specifically about the
white wine/ginger version.  And, yeah, 500 years is (as Adamantius
mentioned) just a "lip-flapping" to indicate a long time ago.  Certainly
400 years might be more accurate, but basically my correspondent was
indicating that what I prepared hadn't been done for centuries.  I
rather doubted that, given the group of folk (SCA) that I hang around
with.  Which is why I asked if anyone had done the white wine/ginger
version.  (Haven't heard yet that anyone has done so.  I have the beef
broth on hand to try the other versions.)  I really had wanted to write
back to my correspondent to say that no, I wasn't the "first one" to
have tried the white wine/ginger version in hundreds of years... that in
fact a half-dozen of my cookery friends had also tried it with (great?
varied?) success.

So, I am starting to assume that most everyone does the version with
beef broth or vinegar and that what Pynson (and Napier-Noble Boke off
Cokery) published is a fairly (odd? rare?) version of a galentine that
uses white wine for the piquancy rather than a red wine or just vinegar.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com