[Sca-cooks] I posed these questions to my kingdom....

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Dec 7 16:13:57 PST 2009

>1.  What dishes and/or foods will make you want to go and feast?

Dishes that are period and tasty.

>2.  What don't you like to see served at a feast?

Strikingly out of period things, such as chocolate or iced tea.
Things that are sufficiently late period to link much more strongly
to modern cooking than to period cooking, such as turkey or potatoes,
unless the cook has actually researched and produced a period recipe
for them. Beets--because they are icky.

In persona, I can't eat pork, but I don't mind it's being served as
long is it isn't too major a part of the feast.

>3.  What would you like to see served more at feast?

Period dishes.

>4.  How many courses do you think is a proper feast?

I think the evidence on the French/English 14th-15th c. feasts--the
cuisine I think of as generic medieval--is that there were usually
either two or three courses. That suits me fine.

>5.  What is your favorite country or region to taste dishes from?

I don't think I have one. I've been more interested in recent years
in Islamic cuisine than others, but I'm happy to eat foreign food.

>6.  Would you want to see other country's period dishes represented that are
>beyond the traditional SCA borders? (Chinese, Arabic,etc.)

Islamic cuisine is, I think, appropriate to the SCA, since there was
a lot interaction between the Islamic world and western Europe, with
populations mixing in Spain, southern Italy, Outremer, and elsewhere.
Chinese or Japanese is a very considerable stretch, and one I'm less
comfortable with. Modern Chinese or Japanese food seems to me
inappropriate.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com