[Sca-cooks] 16th Century recipes for Chocolate

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Tue Dec 8 08:52:58 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Guenievre de Monmarche
<guenievre at erminespot.com> wrote:
> There's a fairly interesting page on Spanish chocolate drinking here,
> focusing mostly on a Spanish recipe from about 1631 - not QUITE pre-1600,
> but still interesting:

Yeah, that's the same recipe as the Wadsworth one I've worked from -
it's just giving the date of the Spanish original (which I have yet to
find a copy of, though I admit I've looked with imperfect
thoroughness); John Wadsworth's 1652 translation is the citation I'm
used to, and is the origin of the version on that site.

Although its mention of chocolate appearing in Fernandez de Oviedo's
ethnography is definitely intriguing; while I'm familiar with the food
content of Naufragios (by the way, if you ever want period
documentation for cactus pears...), I've never read Fernandez. I
wonder if he gives enough detail to be useful.