[Sca-cooks] Period dutch ovens

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 15:57:00 PST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Judith Epstein wrote:

>> I'm not aware of the technology being available in Europe to cast an iron pot of any significant size. I'd think that if the ability to cast large iron pots of any depth and structural integrity existed in period Europe, it'd have been a LOT easier to build cannons than it apparently was.
>
> Actually I was thinking specifically of the Near East and Asia, not Europe.

Ah, okay. Generally speaking, though, when the topic of periodicity  within the SCA is discussed and no geographical specifics are given, Europe is sort of assumed, the governing documents of the SCA being what they are.

Not the best, or most academically responsible, way to run a conversation, I'll admit, but if it's "in house", generally there are few misunderstandings.

So, I've seen cast iron woks and those Indian pots whose name escapes me but which look rather like woks (generally deeper, more hemispherical?). Where else should I be looking for those Dutch oven knock-offs?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter