[Sca-cooks] Hello, Intorducing myself

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Wed Dec 9 20:11:34 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM, David Herzog
> <norcaldutchovendave at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Again, Thank you for letting me join the group and I hope to learn alot here and even contribute also. BTW I have been told
> "Dutch ovens are not period" I can tell those that do not know that cast Dutch ovens with legs have been used since 5000 BC by
> the Chinese and are called "Ding" The Spanish also have used them since "the dawn of time" and called them  "marmetta"
> roughtly translated "tripod pot" meaning they had 3 legs forming the tripod in which to put the fire under the pot.
>> Bakus the Crockist of the house Klemend Holdt in the Kingdom of Antir
>

> Are you saying cast _IRON_ Dutch style ovens, or are you saying cast
> _pottery_ Dutch ovens? If you're saying cast iron, in ANY culture, I'd

Probably neither - early Chinese pots were often bronze, and while I
haven't seen anything quite dutch-oven-like I've certainly seen some
tripod pots of cast bronze in art museums with good early Chinese
collections. From a materials culture perspective, they're not nearly
the same thing, but as a cook I'd be inclined to take them as a sign
that dutch oven cooking techniques are available basically the way
we're used to and then look for recipes.

 - Jaume