[Sca-cooks] bacon in all the feast dishes?!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 21:42:06 PST 2009

On Dec 10, 2009, at 12:26 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Seen today on the Gleann Abhann kingdom list:
> <<< [Gleann Abhann] Fighters Collegium
>
> Just a heads up to all with pork allergies/issues or vegetarians.
> The feast at FC will be a BACON themed feast. All dishes will contain bacon. The plus side is all the dishes will contain bacon.
>
> Looking forward to seeing all of you there
>
> Lord Broddi
> The unofficial cook of Blackmoor Keep >>>
>
> Sigh. At least they are warning everyone ahead of time. We've discussed here the perils of using the same ingredient in all dishes of a feast. Here's an example.
>
> I did ask them if they meant medieval bacon or American streaky bacon. :-)

Ummm, while I do understand the desire to make the distinction so moderns don't incorrectly assume streaky bacon (almost any part of the pig other than ham could be cured as bacon), what do people think was done with that part of the hog in period? That's a lot of chicharrones...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter