[Sca-cooks] "Top Chef" vs "Hell's Kitchen"

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:09:44 PST 2009

An interesting note about one of the Finalists of last night's

"Top Chef" episode is that as a child he was an extremely

picky eater. This guy is one of the most adventurious and

solid cook's I've seen and he was pretty much the front

runner for the entire season. So I guess that can give

hope to parents of picky eaters.

On another note, I've watched both "Top Chef" and "Hell's Kitchen"

and find that I don't agree that the competitors on "Top Chef"

should be advertised as such. They don't do anything to show

they are chefs. They are extremely talented (for the most part)

cooks. Almost all of the competitions are "Here's a bunch of

ingredients or a scenario and now make something with it."

Being a cook is NOT being a chef. An extremely talented

housewife from Des Moines who has never stepped foot in the

back of a restaurant could win this thing.

But "Hell's Kitchen" is all about the skills a restaurant worker and

chef need to know. Working as a team, portion control, taking

deliveries, cleaning, expiditing, solid foundational cooking,

menu design, kitchen design, supervision etc....

This really isn't going anywhere but it was something I was

thinking about. The term "chef" is bandied about by anyone

who cooks in a restaurant or takes money for their food or

wants to do a cooking show. It has nothing to do with what

a chef really is.

Gunthar