[Sca-cooks] "Correct" pies

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 11 04:28:37 PST 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 6:22 AM, Nancy Kiel wrote:

> I am intrigued by "the familiar medieval porkpie shape," as it is something with which I am not familiar.  Which cookbooks is it decribed in?
>
> Nancy Kiel

It actually shows up with fair frequency in graphical depictions of feasts, illuminated manuscripts, woodcuts, etc.

The shape in question is generally a squat round cylinder shape with vertical sides, or sightly bulging sides with a slightly pinched-in upper circumference, like one of those pot-bellied bean pots, with a slightly domed top. The point is that the shape reflects the lack of a pie plate in forming the dough.

It can be a little difficult to build a frame of reference using circular logic, I know. Pork pies look like the crown of a porkpie, hat, of course! Which look like a pork pie...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter