[Sca-cooks] A couple of questions-

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Sun Dec 13 08:29:09 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Judith Epstein <judith at ipstenu.org> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2009, at 12:33 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>> The most common opinion seems to be that what modern Americans call whipped cream, which is sweetened and lightly flavored with vanilla or another flavoring essence, is what used to be known as Creme Chantilly, which probably dates from the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries.
>
> No, we know the difference between whipped cream (which is all cream, whipped to the consistency that the whipper enjoys) and creme Chantilly (which contains some kind of flavoring agent such as sugar, vanilla, buckwheat honey, molasses, rosewater, a sprinkle of spice, or some other added flavoring).

Eh, in my personal idiolect it's still whipped cream even if you
flavor it a little bit, provided you don't take that to the point
where it affects the texture of the cream or add noticeable amounts of
sweetener. It's creme chantilly if you sweeten it. Adding just a touch
of sweet liqueur to the cream as a way of flavoring it subtly is
somewhere on the line between the two, and I'm more likely to call it
creme chantilly if it's being used in a fancier context.

Hundred-year-old sources often talk about adding egg whites when
making "whipped cream," resulting in a product that is neither whipped
cream nor creme chantilly but does seem an awful lot like medieval
snow. I've never made such, but I'd probably refer to it as "snow" if
I did. Certainly not whipped cream.

 - Jaume,
who enjoys exploring linguistic variations like this