[Sca-cooks] Labneh as a substitute for "cream cheese"

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 10:50:34 PST 2009

I had labneh with pita bread, olive oil and zathar in Damascus last month,
it was wonderful!
It's the typical Palestine/Middle East peasant breakfast. Zathar is made of
thyme and other herbs and it tasted wonderful together with the lebnah and
the olive oil!
Ana

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>wrote:

> The talk about cream cheeses made me go look up the ingredients for the
> package of Ulker brand labneh (Turkish yogurt cheese) I have in the
> refrigerator now:
>
> Pasteurized whole milk, milk fat, starter, salt.
>
> I took a package of this yesterday and mixed it with garlic pepper, dried
> dill, and vegetable flakes into a dip for a party; the texture, dare I say
> it, is virtually identical to good old Philadelphia cream cheese, and the
> flavor is fresher and better; not quite the tang of plain sour cream or
> yogurt, but close.
>
> When you first open the package, there is a little whey at the top; but
> this is easily mixed back in.
>
> If you have a Turkish grocery or a store that sells Turkish foods near you,
> it's worth picking up (at about $3.29 a 16 ounce or so package), especially
> if you don't have the time to make your own by straining Greek plain yogurt.
> I would imagine labneh would make a good, guar-gum-free substitute for cream
> cheeses in your redactions.
>
> Adelisa (who is now going to eat some leftover labneh dip with some baby
> carrots)

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci