[Sca-cooks] Greek yogurt RE: cream cheese

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Dec 15 07:58:34 PST 2009

I make my own yogurt somewhat at random using Madhur Jaffrey's
instructions. Bring your milk to the boil, boil for a minute, then turn it
off and let it cool. While it's cooling, take a few tablespoons of
starter yogurt and whisk them until creamy in a non-reactive bowl. When
the milk has cooled to between 100F and 110F, start adding it to your
starter yogurt a TB at a time, whisking each time, until you've got about
a third- to a half-cup in the bowl. Add the rest of the milk by cups,
whisking after each. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap, wrap it in a
heavy towel so that it stays steady, and put it in a warm place free of
drafts for about 8 hours. I use my oven.

8 hours later, you should have yogurt. No yogurt maker necessary. You
could, after the milk and starter are mixed, pour it into individual
containers, but I am too lazy for that usually.

YIS,

Margaret FitzWilliam