[Sca-cooks] Accidental sourdough, krauting failure and random stuff

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 16 01:59:13 PST 2009

--- Susan Lin <susanrlin at gmail.com> schrieb am Di, 15.12.2009:

> The bread sounds interesting - I've
> yet to work with spelt.

An organic shop with a huge selection of grains opened up a few streets from where I live. I can even get teff! Spelt (dinkel) is so fashionable now even the local Lidl carries flour. (It's mostly because a movie about Hildegardis Bingensis was a big hit this summer and everyone wanmts toeat "the Hildegard diet"...)

In my experience it's a lot like regular wheat, but not as fluffy.

> As for the kraut - when I made it last year my instructions
> said to make
> sure there was enough salt water to cover.  It started
> weeping immediately
> but did not give off enough of its own juice to cover so I
> kept adding a
> salted water mixture - something like 1/2 cups salt to 1
> quart water until I
> had added enough to cover the cabbage - after that it was
> very happy.
> Sometimes "crud" grows on top of the water - just skim that
> off.  As long as
> the kraut stays submerged I think you're okay.

I think that was the problem. My recipe book says to be very careful with adding water because the kraut 'sweats', but it looks like that didn't happen enough.

Cheers

Giano