[Sca-cooks] Accidental sourdough, krauting failure and random stuff

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Dec 16 03:49:14 PST 2009

Glad it was of help.

Devra sells this book that might be of help too.

Wild Fermentation: The flavor, nutrition, and craft of live-culture
foods - $25.00
Sandor Ellix Katz. Despite its somewhat didactic tone, this is an
excellent guide to the making of fermented foods.  It is global in
scope, including yogurt,tempeh, and injira among its recipe offerings.
Beginning with extensive material dedicated to the health benefits of
fermented foods, the phenomenon of fermentation, and the
undesirability of sterilized, uniform, mass produced food, the author
continues with chapters on vegetable ferments, bean ferments, dairy
and vegan substitute ferments, breads and pancakes, grain porridges
and beverages, wines (including mead, cider, and ginger beet), beers,
and vinegars. A final chapter considers fermentation in the cycles of
life, soil fertility, and social change.  130 pages of recipes &
instructions, 6p biblio, thorough notes and index. Tr pb, 187 pp,
illus with black & white pen sketches. Chelsea Green

Johnnae