[Sca-cooks] Subject: Re: Holidays

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:57:14 PST 2009

Yeah, we did that some years back...then decided that Mama's applesauce cake
was close enough.  It's not like most applesauce cakes...she put all kinds
of fruit and nuts in it, mostly preserved (fig preserves, pear preserves,
quince preserves and cherry).  I don't have all of those kind of preserves,
but I soak dried figs in wine, which works well, then used candied cherries,
a little citron and dates.  Usually the cake gets soaked for a few weeks but
that won't happen this year.  I'll put them in to soak in plum wine for as
much time as I can...most of them won't go out until New Year's.

Hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season.  It looks like ours is
starting off VERY snowy...down here they are, I just saw on TV, calling for
10 - 18 inches here in southern MD.  According to the weatherman, it will be
the first time since they've been recording such stuff, that there has been
over a foot of snow in the DC area in December!  Glad I went out this
morning to get most of what I needed to do done.

Take care...travel safely!

Kiri