[Sca-cooks] Orange cardamom pound cake- OP

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 22 14:57:21 PST 2009

I've finally created a pound cake recipe I am happy with, so I thought I would share:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup sugar
2/3 of a cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup of butter
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp of orange extract
1/4 teaspoon of ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
The seeds from four cardamom pods, crushed finely

Directions: let the eggs, butter, and yogurt come to room temperature. Combine the flour, ginger, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside. Whip the butter for 30 seconds on high, and then start adding the sugar gradually, scraping down the bowl frequently, beating it for 10 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy. Add the vanilla, orange essence, and crushed cardamom; beat until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time; then add alternately the dry ingredients and the yogurt, until everything is just combined. Put the batter in a greased, floured loaf pan and bake for about 40 minute at 325 F.

I was making the standard Good Housekeeping cookbook sour cream pound cake, but only had Greek yogurt in the house. Then I thought I'd use some of that great, non-alcohol orange essence I found in a healthfood store, in addition to the standard vanilla. Then I remembered all that cardamom I had squirreled away. And then I thought ginger probably would go well with all of these flavors.

Tonight I am going to try making it without the orange essence and cardamom, but with sour cherry preserves just stirred into the batter before turning it out into the pan.

Enjoy!
Adelisa