[Sca-cooks] "Bad" language (was: OP - roast beef accompaniment)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 23 16:14:27 PST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Lawrence Bayne wrote:

> In Culinary school we learne that "scampi" was more a method of preparation than a name for shrimp. As a matter of fact I make a KILLER chicken scampi.
> BB
> YIS
> Lothar

No, scampi (I believe it is plural; singular would be scampo) are a pretty specific prawn-like animal. I think it's the same critter known in English as the Dublin Bay Prawn, the Norway Lobster and the langoustine.

Shrimp scampi is a shrimp dish prepared in the manner commonly used for actual scampi. Chicken scampi is a dish of chicken similarly prepared.

The preparation is widely acknowledged and more or less universally understood, and is now applied to lots of foods (such as chicken and fish), but originally it was, and is, a reference to a particular animal.

I'm not sure if this was gone into in any depth in culinary school, but A.J. McClane goes into this sort of thing a lot...

Adamantius