[Sca-cooks] My lastest Christmas pie recipe.

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 18:13:24 PST 2009

Little Jack Horner sat in the corner
Eating his Christmas pie,
He put in his thumb and pulled out a cranberry
And said "What a good boy am I!"

Wanting to try other pies for my family and use splenda because my hubby is diabetic, I give you my latest work, the Cranberry Buttermilk Pie.  I was going to make Chess pie, but with most recipes, corn syrup was called for and that is a no-no for diabetics.  However, I didn't want to make just a plain buttermilk pie, so I decided to add something very much associated with Christmas, the cranberry.  The tartness of the cranberries blends well with the sweetness of the buttermilk filling.

My recipe:

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup Splenda [if you wish to use regular sugar, use 1 1/3 cups sugar]
3 eggs, separated
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt

If you wish just to make a plain buttermilk pie, stop here and use 1 9 inch pie shell.

If you with to make the Cranberry pie, use two 12 oz bags of fresh cranberries and two 9 inch pie shells.

Cream the butter and sugar; add the egg yolks, beating after each addition.  Beat in flour and buttermilk; add the lemon juice, lemon peel, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.  Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into the filling.

For the cranberry pie, place one bag of cranberries into each pie crust.  Pour half the filling into each pie shell, gently folding the filling around the cranberries; bake in center of a preheated 325º over, until the custard is set and slightly brown, about 1 hour.

Huette