[Sca-cooks] Horse Breeding OT But!...

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sat Dec 26 09:48:50 PST 2009

Was written:

> Maybe not. I seem to remember when reading about the Crusades that the
> Arabs tended to be armored lighter and riding smaller horses. Which  would
> fit both with the native horses there, the Arab?, and the terrain.

In my readings I seem to recall the suggestions that the Crusaders tended to
ride stallions while the Moslem combatants tended to ride mares.   Be that
as it may check this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barb_(horse) for more
information regarding local horse flesh of the middle east in period.

Was also written:

I thought  that donkeys and asses were the same thing, at least when you
were talking about animals.

Yes in the main that is correct, I should have written donkey/ass.  The
African wild ass, the believed progenitor of all the world's donkeys, is
generally the only of those beasts that is, if I am not mistaken, never
referred to as a donkey.  For all others those terms, to include burro I
suspect, are, at least among English speakers, English being a language that
borrows extensively from other languages, interchangeable.

Daniel