[Sca-cooks] The adventures of the Aebleskiever Pan

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 28 06:32:35 PST 2009

My housemate's family traditions includes ableskievers.  Our first year cohabitating I searched far and wide until I found one ... a nonstick version ... made by Nordicware ... at Williams-Sonoma.

The next Christmas, his mother, not knowing we already had one gave him a similar Nordicware Nonstick that she had purchased somewhere in their native Blair, Nebraska.  She was saddened when she visited Christmas morning to discover the ableskiever pan in the dish drainer, as it was already wrapped and under the tree.  When he and I split the blanket, he is welcome to take his new, unused, still in the box ableskiever pan with him when he goes.

This year I was fortunate enough to score a cast iron version marketed as a puff pancake pan, at of all places, Ace Hardware.  It came in a 'kit' with; a recipe booklet, a bag of bamboo skewers that the kit advocates as turners (I use chopsticks for that purpose ... but I digress), a powdered sugar shaker (for which I will find another use) an injector to stuff filling into the ableskievers (for which I will also find another use since I fill mine as they cook), and a nifty cover that fits over the cast iron handle (VERY nice to have).  I must say I MUCH prefer the cast iron to the Nordicware nonstick (which did stick by the way).

Cheers

Malkin

Otherhill

Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.