[Sca-cooks] 16th Century recipes for Chocolate

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 10 01:18:18 PST 2009

Jaume replied to my message about a pre-1600 chocolate recipe in my
chocolate-msg file.

<<< Really? Excellent! Wadsworth's "Indian Drinke" version is the
closest
I'd ever even heard mentioned, and I'd heard it was the earliest, but
maybe that's just because it's the best known old one. >>>

Yes, I notice that that recipe keeps popping up repeatedly in my file.
But toward the end there are a number of other early 1600 recipes that
I think, were earlier than this "Indian Drinke" one. That one may be
the most detailed, though. So check the file. Since you specifically
asked for a pre-1600 recipe I didn't try to detail the others in my
message.

Thanks for your comments on this recipe. I'll add them to this file.
But if you come up with a more studied redaction, I'd love to have that.

I bought some cocoa nibs when I saw them available at Central Market,
but I've not tried to make anything with them, yet. They also had
chocolate-covered cocoa nibs.:-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com