[Sca-cooks] new Peter G. Rose volume

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 2 15:25:14 PST 2009

>I came across this title in November and ordered it last week.
>Food, Drink, and Celebrations of the Hudson Valley Dutch. The History
>Press, 2009.
>It came today and I am so pleased to actually see a copy.
>It's not a volume that one is likely to encounter at Borders or B&N.
>
>As many of you already know Peter G. Rose is the expert on
>Dutch cookery in early America. She's the author and translator of The
>Sensible Cook: Dutch Foodways in the Old and the New World.
>
>For anyone interested in the food and drink of the Dutch in 17th
>century America, this is a great volume. It includes chapters on New
>Year's celebrations and Saint Nicholas; there's a bibliography plus
>numerous pictures.
>
>http://www.peterrose.com/ is her website.
>
>Johnnae

This looks fascinating. I grew up in the area of Bergen County, N.J., established as a Dutch colony, (Shraalenburgh) in the late 17th century; many of the place names are still Dutch (this community was located in the Hackensack Valley, not the Hudson, though), and there are a still quite a few of the early 18th century Dutch homesteads dotting the area. And there were lots of school trips to the historic sites just over the New York border, including the Old '76 House in Tappan, N.Y. I don't recall eating there, though.

http://www.76house.com/

Not really any historic Dutch food on the menu, which is rather a shame!

Adelisa