[Sca-cooks] Looking for some recipe help

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 07:10:29 PST 2009

I have several recipes that are Mughal...all taken from a couple of period
books,

*The *Ni'matnāma *Manuscript of the Sultans of Mandu ("The Sultan's Book of
Delights)* and a booklet printed some years back, "A Dinner from Moghul
India"--Madrone Culinary Guild--taken from similar examples in Ain-I-Akbari
by Abu al-Fazl ibn Mubarak.  A 16th c. Mughal cookbook.  There are a number
of recipes in this one taken from various period sources.  You should be
able to contact them and get a copy for yourself.  I found it very useful
and containing a lot of wonderful recipes.  Both books are excellent!

So far as Middle Eastern recipes are concerned, there are numerous resources
available for this.  There is, of course, Perry's *Medieval Arab Cookery*,
Perry's new translation of *A Baghdad Cookery Book *published in *Petit
Propos au Culinaire*, Urtatim's web site.  You could potentially even
include a Mongol recipe or two as they traded through Byzantium as
well...Buell and Anderson's *Soup for the Qan* is a good source for that.

Hope this helps...

Kiri