[Sca-cooks] Medieval Indian cooking

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Wed Dec 9 18:28:54 PST 2009

I apologize, Huette, for not communicating clearly enough. I will
happily attempt to clear up any confusion between my "rant" and the
reply to Cariadoc's question.

The Nimatnama is most certainly not Mughal, which you, as someone who
has obviously read the manuscript yourself, of course already knew. The
first two paragraphs of that email are merely urging Cariadoc to take a
look at the book because I think he would be interested.

The third paragraph is about other early Mughal resources. I thought I
had notified the reader to the change of subject by reiterating
Cariadoc's question about other sources.

I am quite surprised that you had never come across pre-1600
descriptions for samosas before reading the Nimatnama, there are two
samosa recipes in the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook, one in the Baghdad
Cookery Book, and another in the Description of Familiar Foods.

Madhavi