[Sca-cooks] "Top Chef" vs "Hell's Kitchen"

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:24:32 PST 2009

> Thank you for not spoiling the ending for me. I was out yesterday and
> didn't get to see it (silly me - going to embroidery guild rather than
> watching food).

I wanted to be careful to not spoil anything.

> I agree that a cook and a chef are different. I think a small distinction
> that might be made is that most of the Top Chef candidates are already
> "chefs" in that they run kitchens and/or own restaurants and the Hell's
> Kitchen contestants are still in the "wanna be" stage.

But the competitions aren't based on being a chef, they are based on

being a good cook. They may be "chefs" or restaurant owners in real

life but nothing in the competition tests that. "Top Chef" has nothing to

do with being a chef and everything to do with being a cook.

Again, I highly respect those contestants and their skills. Those last

four finalists were better than I could ever hope to be. And I was

impressed that they all seemed to genuinely like and respect each other.

That was something I enjoyed on the "Top Chef Masters" show. These

guys are all some of the best in the world and treated each other with

respect.

> Shoshanna

Yers,

Gunthar