[Sca-cooks] lampreys

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Thu Dec 10 11:56:43 PST 2009

I have eaten lamprey several years ago while travelling in Portugal.

The dish was quite interesting, if somewhat muddy. However, I was told that the muddyness was due to the time, September. One must eat them in May, when they have been moving from the ocean up the rivers. (If I remember correctly. There seems to be a smaller species, that lives in the rivers.)

> http://scienceray.com/biology/marine-biology/lamprey-eel-an-invasive-predatorparasite-unwelcome-guest-in-our-waters/

I am not sure if this report is really "fair" ...

As far as I can see, there are plenty of recipes for lamprey in the old cookbooks.

E.