[Sca-cooks] Classical Greek Potatoes and Hot Peppers

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 14 17:37:04 PST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Stefan li Rous
> <stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> But "classic" doesn't mean "period". Something "classic" could be only a
>> century or two old.
>
> However, Ian said "classical Greek", which generally refers to a time
> period several centuries before the Christian era.  I'm reasonably
> sure that Alexander the Great was not eating potatoes.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

We're now discovering that my grandfather changed his name around World War I, and that some of my ancestors appear to have originally been from Greece (via Austria).

He ate potatoes.

Q.E.D.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter