[Sca-cooks] Period pasta sauce (was Re: A couple of questions)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 15 09:46:24 PST 2009

Message: 8

On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:21 PM, I wrote:

> The "fresh cheeses dripping with butter and milk on all sides," what kind of cheese do you think he was >referring to? It certainly doesn't sound like Parmesan. Taking a look at the Florilegium and the cheese >entries there, could Landi have been referring to a mascarpone?

>Adamantius replied:

>I would think it's something in a cohesive mass, but barely. Buffalo-milk mozzarella?

You know, I think you have something there. Reading about the history of water buffalo in Italy, there are theories that the animal was introduced to the mainland by the Norman Sicilians, where they had been introduced to the island by the Arabs.

More about that at http://www.mozzarelladop.it/

Adelisa